Sunday, January 25, 2009

Breakthroughs

I read about a phenomenon known as breakthroughs this weekend and I realized that I had one of these this week without really knowing what to call it. On Wednesday, we had an 8 mile run after work. To be honest, I was dreading it. I had hit a point where I was getting a little burnt out. Brandy was excited about the run, even though she had gone to the ER with a cut on her finger from the paper cutter at school (yikes!). I trudged out to Bay Creek thinking it was going to be a routine work out that we would hammer out and get on home, 8 miles in about 80 minutes, our normal 10 minute mile pace. This turned out to completely untrue. On Wednesday we both had a breakthrough and all of the hard work that we have been putting in and the strength that we have accumulated paid off and we elevated to 9 minute mile pace! It was amazing, like running with God! I was on an adrenaline high all night and I wanted to call every person that I knew and tell them that I could now sustain 9 minute per mile pace for 8 miles! I refrained from doing so because, honestly, there aren't THAT many people out there that would really care. So many people are so much faster than me! For me, though, it was a huge accomplishment!
Today we embarked on uncharted territory, now things are getting really serious. We went for our first run that is longer than a 1/2 marathon: 14 miles. I could barely sleep last night, anticipating the distance and the pain that it was going to bring. To be honest, it wasn't that bad. Again, accumulated strength I guess. Oh and we just had to pick the hilliest terrain around here! Hills Kill! I HATE them! Everytime I see one I get angry, which is probably the only way that I get up them. We are now into these huge long runs: 16 miles next week and it just gets bigger from there. Wish me luck!
I am excited for the short runs this week, I'm ready to run with God again!

2 comments:

  1. AHHHH! 16 miles makes me cringe. I don't think I could hold my attention long enough to do that with the energy of the crowd of the actual marathon cheering me along. More power to you and your speedy runs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing awesome, Amy! I really enjoyed our 14 miler last weekend. I can't believe it's 16 next! I am excited! Thanks for keeping me motivated!

    ReplyDelete